Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

  1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

podiatry / chiropody VAT exempt business?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by psprigs, Jan 17, 2023.

  1. psprigs

    psprigs Welcome New Poster

    Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    My partner and her sister run a clinic, they deal with podiatry /chiropody only, no fancy nail painting services. They have been doing this for around 10 years.
    They rent the building and pay the usual bills.
    They are slowing down their clients because they are coming upto the £85k VAT threshold.
    On the .GOV website it says that they could be exempt based on the criteria.
    Their services generate around if they continued a normal year around £95k of labour
    The sales of orthopedics would only amount to around £3k and supplies around £5k per year.
    Because the gross sales would be over the threshold would they need to register for VAT or would the service/labour side be exempt only leaving the VAT able items below the treshold so not claiming for them? so not needing to register?

    Were wondering if you need to register because the gross is above and then declare the labour is exempt, or do you run the books not registered at all and dont inform the VAT man and advise the book keeper that the services are exempt?

    This is not a mistake they can afford to do.... Although they will be either paying VAT or tax on the profit anyway.

    Their book keeper is unable to advise just pointing them to the GOV website and one sister has contact HMRC to be told 'yeah i think you qualify' but not asking figures, business details or unable to advise in writing at all.

    Summary.... above 85K in gross sales but around £75k of exempt services, do you register or not? can they carry on? is their a upper limit of exempt?
  2. William Fowler

    William Fowler Active Member

    This is somewhat complex. You really should pay for professional advice from an accountant familiar with the issues.
    Too many have been caught out doing the wrong thing ... even though it was with the best intentions.
  3. Catfoot

    Catfoot Well-Known Member

    As far as I understand it all health based businesses in UK are not allowed to charge VAT, nor do they pay it.

    I'm not sure what is meant by a 'book-keeper' ?
    Do they not use an accountant to keep their tax affairs in order? If not, then they should engage on ASAP and ask for their professional advice.

Share This Page